Red Alder Residences
Rocky Mountain Development Council, Inc. (Rocky) in partnership with GL Development has been selected to move forward in applying for tax credits to build a new affordable housing complex in Helena. The new residences would be called Red Alder Residences.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Rocky is the Human Resource Development Council for Lewis & Clark County and has been in existence for over 50 years. RMDC offers a variety of senior services, affordable housing, energy assistance, and the Head Start program. Rocky currently manages 297 units in Lewis & Clark, Jefferson, and Broadwater Counties.
Gene Leuwer of GL Development is dedicated to providing affordable housing across Montana, having been an integral partner in developing more than 145 affordable housing units in 8 Montana communities.
Rocky and GL Development created or rehabilitated almost 500 affordable apartments and transitional housing/shelters since 1998. Funding sources have included tax credits, HOME Investment Partnerships, Section 8, Community Development Block Grant, Affordable Housing Partnership, and USDA Rural Development affordable housing programs.
IMPACTS OF RED ALDER APARTMENTS
1. Red Alder Apartments will provide Helena with 85 units of workforce and low-income affordable housing.
2. Red Alder Apartments will reduce Helena and Lewis and Clark County’s shared medical, first-responder, supportive services burden through stable, quality housing for vulnerable and at-risk populations.
3. Red Alder will help stimulate local economy by creating construction jobs and 2 full-time positions after completion of the project.
4. Red Alder Apartments will assist in furthering goals and objectives belonging to Helena and Lewis and Clark County's strategic plan.
5. Red Alder Apartment will help strengthen the local HRDC (Rocky) which provides critical services to those in need.
6. Red Alder Apartments will pay its share for city services and WILL NOT ask for local financial contributions.