Red Alder Residences
Rocky Mountain Development Council, Inc. (Rocky) in partnership with GL Development have secured tax credits from the Montana Board of Housing to build a new affordable housing complex in Helena. The new residences will be called Red Alder Residences and would be located at the corner of Henderson and Brady Street in Helena, MT.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Rocky is the Human Resource Development Council for Lewis & Clark County and has been in existence for over 50 years. RMDC offers a variety of senior services, affordable housing, energy assistance, and the Head Start program. Rocky currently manages 297 units in Lewis & Clark, Jefferson, and Broadwater Counties.
Gene Leuwer of GL Development is dedicated to providing affordable housing across Montana, having been an integral partner in developing more than 145 affordable housing units in 8 Montana communities.
Rocky and GL Development constructed or rehabilitated almost 500 affordable apartments and transitional housing/shelters since 1998. Funding sources have included tax credits, HOME Investment Partnerships, Section 8, Community Development Block Grant, Affordable Housing Partnership, and USDA Rural Development affordable housing programs.
IMPACTS OF RED ALDER RESIDENCES
1. Red Alder Residences will provide Helena with 85 units of workforce and low-income affordable housing.
2. Red Alder Residences will reduce Helena and Lewis and Clark County’s shared medical, first-responder, supportive services burden through stable, quality housing for vulnerable and at-risk populations.
3. Red Alder will help stimulate local economy by creating construction jobs and 2 full-time positions after completion of the project.
4. Red Alder Residences will assist in furthering goals and objectives belonging to Helena and Lewis and Clark County's strategic plan.
5. Red Alder Residences will help strengthen the local HRDC (Rocky) which provides critical services to those in need.
6. Red Alder Residences will pay its share for city services and WILL NOT ask for local financial contributions.